In spite of the fact that we’re going to have dogs and chickens — omnivores who ought to eat most of our table scraps and garden waste — I took some time out from the henhouse project today to put together a composter. It has three sections, and we’ll probably fill at least one when we clean out the shelter behind the barn where the previous owners kept their horses.
I used old lumber, mostly pieces from the old sandbox I disassembled in Keene and brought along. If you look closely, you can see where the kids painted some of the boards. These are cedar, so they should be fairly rot-resistant. They were also precut into sizes I could use without any modifying. The couple of pieces of pine I had to add from the pile in the barn all went up off the ground. Those were the only three pieces I had to cut. I didn’t get it completely done with found materials, though. The chicken wire around the outside is new (it’s really nice Redbrand wire from the coop, as a matter of fact), but I managed to salvage a couple of old scraps for the dividers between the sections. And I used up nearly a box of nails and a whole box of staples. But all in all, about $25 and half a day’s work. We’ll start filling it tomorrow, and then we’ll see how the worms like it when they arrive.
(Carrying away the remaining pieces of Keene cedar. I’ll find another use for them soon…)